Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Goals of Sentencing Commissions

Going through some papers from a year or so back, ran across a table I drew up after going through commission websites and examining their stated goals. Not the least bit scientific, but here's what I found for the 19 commissions I looked at. If you looked at how frequently they were mentioned as explicit goals and the order in which they were listed, you would hopefully come up with a list of goals in their priority something like this:

Public Safety/Emphasis on Violent and Career Offenders
Disparity/Equity
Proportionality
Truth in Sentencing
Resource Availability
Alternative Sentencing
Judicial Discretion
Statement of Public Values
Public Accountability
Rehabilitation
Victim Impact
Crime Reduction
Prison Overcrowding

I wouldn't bet much on the exactitude here, but thought you might be interested. I should never start cleaning out files.

No comments: