Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Back Tomorrow, I Promise

Pam Clifton at Think Outside the Cage asked some of us attending the annual National Association of Sentencing Commission to pass along the wisdom contained therein. Unfortunately, I was one of the organizers and spent most of my time coordinating errant buses and making sure powerpoints got loaded onto laptops. Doug Berman and Corey Yung will be saying more, I'm sure, and I'm sure once I'm not brain-addled from it all, I'll have something to comment on. Until I get rolling again more normally tomorrow, here are a couple of quotes that seem relevant to me now that the conference on how and why we sentence is over for this year:

"Fanaticism consists in redoubling your effort when you have forgotten your aim."--George Santayana

"People's sense of dramatic reality is what they will certainly obey, no matter how much they pretend to follow nothing but points of evidence."--William James

No comments: