The Institute conducts a broad range of activities designed to raise the profile of prisoner reentry issues for state decision-makers and local communities, and to help protect communities from the negative impacts of reentry. These efforts began with the convening of the New Jersey Reentry Roundtable, a year-long initiative that brought together government policy makers, researchers, local and national experts, community service providers, victims advocates, and formerly incarcerated people to develop an empirically-based understanding of reentry in New Jersey and propose policy and programmatic responses. The Roundtable’s final report, Coming Home for Good: Meeting the Challenge of Prisoner Reentry in New Jersey, has provided a blueprint for policy change in the state and guides the Institute’s on-going advocacy.
The Institute frequently publishes an excellent electronic newsletter, The New Jersey Reentry Digest, which can be accessed here. The most recent issue contains information about the following topics.
- Second Chance Act Reintroduced in House of Representatives
- Washington State Senate Passes Reentry Bill
- New Report on Reentry and Housing
- Conference on Legal Barriers to Reentry
- National Offender Workforce Development Conference
- New Jersey Update: Criminal Justice Forum at Rutgers-Newark