Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Why I Miss Wisconsin

A friend from WI sent me this, knowing all the levels that this is a remarkable story, even for WI. You have to read the whole thing, but here are a few teasers:

Heavy drinking only seems to make everyone better looking, and it sure doesn't improve judgment.

Pat Dykstra is living, breathing, drunk-dialing proof of that.

She's the Dodge County woman who called 911 from her pickup truck early Sunday to report that she just might be intoxicated enough to need a sheriff's squad to follow her home. Wonder if she would have expected warm milk and a tuck-in once they got there.

And why did she make such a call? Because her boyfriend, who admitted to downing twice as much beer as Dykstra did at the tavern, told her to.

"He wanted me to call 911 'cause he thinks I'm too drunk to drive," Dykstra, 51, of Fox Lake, told the surprised-sounding dispatcher. . . .

. . . Dykstra agreed to a TV news interview that did little to re-establish her solid judgment. She was asked what she thought would happen when she called 911 to report a drunk on the road - herself.

"I really wasn't sure. Like I said, I don't think I was really thinking that much at the time either," she told Channel 4. . . .

The sheriff compared Dykstra's actions to a burglar who suffers remorse and turns himself in later. But to me it seems more like a burglar who calls police during the break-in and says come and get me. Very odd. . . .

The most ironic moment in Dykstra's call comes at the end when she says she must hang up because it's really not safe to drive and talk on her cell at the same time. . . .