Friday, August 24, 2007

Not-So-Mean Girl

I do try to keep this as much a Lohan-free zone as possible, but this sentence of the idiotic young actress actually strikes me as pretty good, unlike the 82 minutes behind bars that passes for a sentence for other “celebrities” these days (even if done under overcrowding guidelines):

Lindsay Lohan reached a plea deal Thursday on misdemeanor drunken driving and cocaine charges that calls for her to spend one day in jail, serve 10 days of community service and complete a drug treatment program.

She was also placed on 36 months probation, is required to complete an 18-month alcohol education program, pay hundreds of dollars in fines and must complete a three-day county coroner program in which she'll visit a morgue and talk to victims of drunken drivers.

Some shock jail, reasonably restrictive probation, required treatment, and community service and restitution. Well put together. Punishes, shows it could be worse, requires public recompense, very stiff response promised if revoked. And for once, she seems to get it, at least in her public statement.

"It is clear to me that my life has become completely unmanageable because I am addicted to alcohol and drugs," Lohan said in a statement released by publicist Leslie Sloane Zelnik.

She said she did things she was ashamed of. "I broke the law and today I took responsibility by pleading guilty to the charges in my case."

She’s a talented young woman, unlike others who have been in similar circumstances lately (yes, I admit to having watched “Mean Girls” more than once, please don’t pity me). I hope she does get her head on straight. Her road just gets steeper and steeper from here.

No comments: